Thursday, September 22, 2011

Authors Ridge

I work in Concord, MA. I drive by Walden pond on my way to work every day - its still pretty cool, even after a couple months.

 
Slowly I am beginning to explore the area, In the spring when I was in the process of moving I took a whirlwind tour around Concord, and a little place called the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery.

Home to Thoreau, Emerson, Hawthorne & Alcott. All nestled on the high point called Authors Ridge.

I will admit a bit of skepticism pre-trip, but I am here to assure you that it was awesome. Its amazing to visit such a peaceful place and see all the beautiful monuments and tombstones. Emersons was pretty radical - I can imagine it was totally unique when it was erected. All the Alcott sisters are in a line, and Thoreau overlooks the cemetery from a hill. Hawthorne is there too - but I cant seem to find his picture. (I did get to go see his house of seven gables! but that's for a different day)

If you go, take a little time to look at all the stones throughout the cemetery, they are so old and so beautifully carved - a typographic dream. So glad I made the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...