Wednesday, November 30, 2011

nerd alert : big fish sampler 3

So I finally bit the bullet and signed up for the Big Fish Game Club. Basically you get games at a discounted price, and for every few games you buy you get "punches" in your card - punches equal free games.... its kind of a lot to think about, but I am going to give it a shot so I have an excuse to buy the games instead of just playing an hour of them...

Let me tell you a little about the three I played this past week...


01/
Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek Collector's Edition

flash light // sink knobs // rope bracelet
You, an FBI agent, wake up and vaguely remember you are looking for a missing person, a girl, in a town called Maple Creek. Though your memory only returns to you in little bits at a time, you begin to piece your case back together again. There are strange connections to a case from years earlier.

This game reeks of mystery. After the hour I was so sucked in, i needed to know what it all meant. The character you play has a real voice, instead of a subtitled inner voice, so its really easy to forget the game costs less than $15. This game also slightly reminds me of silent hill, or at least its church goers do... but not nearly as spooky. The inventory items are really great, and the wall where you put your case together is a nice home base i feel a lot of games are missing these days.

Overall strength of the games story line 5/6
Quality of the graphics, especially in the seek and find elements 5/6
How far through the game did I feel I was after the hour 5/6
Odds that I would buy the full version of this game 6/6


 02/
Phantasmat

hotel sign // teacup // piranha
Your car crashes (come on big fish this happens to me in EVERY game! have some more faith in my driving ability) and you are stranded in an isolated area. After running into a girl who you find nearby, you try to call for help from the spooky neighborhood hotel. Well what kind of game would it be f the phone worked, am I right? You get a room and start unraveling the mystery of a town devastated by flood... but there's more tragedy and mystery afoot to uncover!

This is one of those games that you just want to fly through in order to get to the bottom of things. Who are the people in the hotel? Why can't you leave? What exactly happened with the flood and the town that's now mostly out of water. Also the hidden object sections of the game can be subbed out for a bejeweled inspired mini game! such a great idea! also props for the character monologs.

Overall strength of the games story line 6/6
Quality of the graphics, especially in the seek and find elements 6/6
How far through the game did I feel I was after the hour 6/6
Odds that I would buy the full version of this game 6/6


03/
Grim Tales: the Bride
silver sun // engagement ring // white gloves
Your sister dies on her wedding day, and you think something sinister is afoot (again, I feel like this storyline is overdone) Convinced her death was no accident you head to her isolated mansion to search for answers.

Very bride oriented, as you may have guessed from the title. but the scenes are nicely done and the puzzles are heavely based on inventory, which i love. overall not much to write home about - but a quality title none the less.

Overall strength of the games story line 3/6
Quality of the graphics, especially in the seek and find elements 4/6
How far through the game did I feel I was after the hour 5/6
Odds that I would buy the full version of this game 2/6


So.. which one would I buy? I actually bought 2! Phantasmat and Enigmatis. (not surprising i know). I'll be sure to update when I finish them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...